What Do My Loved Ones Do
Being worried about your children, spouse, or pets while you're in treatment is normal, but there are many ways to make sure they're being cared for while you are in rehab.
Family is one of the main concerns for individuals who are seeking treatment for addiction - here they will live, how to take care of financial obligations and communication during treatment.
Understanding your alternatives can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones since these challenges can be beaten.
By requesting for assistance and coming up with a good plan before beginning treatment, you will be sure that your family is looked after while you are in treatment.
- When I go to rehab, who will take care of my children?
- What if I don't have anyone who can help?
- Are there any other options?
- Are loved ones allowed to visit me?
- How will my family manage when i'm in rehab?
- How do I speak to my child about going to therapy?
- What happens to my pet when I am in treatment?
- How will I stay in touch with the people I love while in rehab?
- How can I get treatment today?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Child Care Choices For People In Rehabilitation
Parents who are thinking about going into rehab can find it difficult to get a reliable caregiver for their children. When you are undergoing the recovery program, many people are available to take care of them.
The best choice is usually someone who your children already know and trust who is close to your family.
We can assist you to get a program that will help your recovery if you contact us on 0800 246 1509.
A lot of parents in treatment ask for help from their
- Your parents
- Your intimate friends
You can put them in the custody of reputable child care during the day if your friends and family have work or school to attend to. A few healing places as well provide child care services or can link to local child care resources.
Some rehab centres will even let your children stay with you in treatment if you are a single parent. Programs like this can treat the child for any mental health issues they might have as well as the parent's addiction.
Call us now and we'll help you find a rehab that will let your child stay with you.
How To Talk To Your Child Concerning Rehab
Speaking to your kid concerning your dependence and the reason you're going to therapy is very vital. This will help them in understanding and dealing with your absence. It will also ensure that they do not think they are to blame for anything.
Some factors to consider when communicating to your kids are
- Know as much as possible about rehabilitation and dependence on addictive substances.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Talk in age suitable language they will comprehend.
- Exclude the medical language.
- Decide on the ideal moment to carry out the discussion.
- The best place is where concentration is possible.
- Know their emotions and the effect your dependence has had on them.
- Say that you are sorry if you made them suffer.
- Be very true and open to interrogations.
- Tell them that you acted uncontrollably and that they don't share the blame for your actions.
The "Seven Cs" were created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to educate kids on how they can deal with the drug or alcohol problems of a parent. Kids are encouraged to learn the "Seven Cs" by heart so that they always remember they did not cause the problem. How to deal with their parent's abuse of drugs is also taught by the principle.
The Seven Cs For Your Child To Know
- I didn't cause it
- I can't cure it
- I can't control it
- I can take good care of myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making healthy choices and
- Celebrating me
Government And Non-Profit Child Care Options
Those who do not have family or friends to look after their children have other options. The first one is non governmental, volunteer-based organizations such as safe families for children. Finding temporary accommodations for kids that have parents that can't take care of them is one of the main objects of these institutions. You can rest assured that your children will be safe and sound because the Safe Families for Children organization thoroughly checks its volunteer families. Biological parents are able to maintain custody of their children thanks to programs like these.
In your neighbourhood, you may find certified caregivers if the NGOs do not satisfy you. This should be the last choice.
You will have to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you opt to place your child in the foster care system. Signing it means that you will be transferring the custody and care of your child to the Department of Children's Services temporarily. You may be obligated for paying child support each month.
This is an alternative, however frightening it might sound. Just strictly follow the terms of the VPA and appear at any necessary court dates. You can give your kid and yourself the best gift, and that is overcoming your addiction.
Pet Care During Rehabilitation
Many families have pets that are considered family members. Similar to addicted parents, those who own pets often find it difficult to find a fitting care provider. If blood relations or friends are not capable to attend to your pet when you're in treatment, there are various other choices.
Long-term boarding is present at many of the boarding amenities, though very long stays can be really costly. If you have a pet that doesn't have to have constant care, like a cat, rodent or fish, you might go with a pet sitter as a less expensive solution. Pet sitters visit your residence defined number of times every day or week to conduct care practices. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. This arrangement is especially great for pets that require greater attention such as dogs.
If you get a pet sitter for the duration you will be in rehab, you need to give detailed instructions on care, the medical records of your pet and contact information in case of emergency such as the animal clinic or vet you work with. It is also good to inform the animal clinic or vet that your pet will be in another person's care for the duration you will be in treatment.
If leaving your pet is completely not a consideration, there are rehab centres that allow patients to go with their pets. Pet friendly facilities are becoming more popular but are still rare. You might have to travel to another area to find this kind of program. However, you will probably be able to find a facility that lets pet visit you if you are not able to find one that will let them stay with you.
Visitation With Loved Ones When In Treatment
Family assistance is crucial to breaking free from addiction, and a good number of rehab centres feel that their presence will play a role in helping you to get over the problem.
To assist with adjustment, most forms of communication e.g. phone calls and emails along with visitors are permitted for the first week after arrival.
Most rehabs offer visiting hours once the initial adjustment period is over.
Some centres allow daily visits; others only allow them weekly or monthly. Each rehab has its own stipulated duration for visitors.
Guests may require to be accepted by a counsellor and added to a guests list so that they can meet you. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
Communication With Friends And Family During Rehab
There are many ways to get in touch with your loved ones when in therapy. It depends with plan, though a good number of centres accept phone and internet use (email) at assigned periods. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
Other facilities accept your loved ones to submit care parcels. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. If there are forbidden things, ask for these from the administrators of the facility.
Allowance may also be made for your family to receive treatment at the facility. In many addiction cases, loved ones are also affected by the condition. These meetings give chance for recognition of every person's emotions and treatment by all.
Your Family Getting Financial Help During Treatment
If you are a primary financial caretaker of your family, then the expenses of addiction program might be a financial strain while you are away. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- Discussing with your employer on the possibility of using sick off days and any paid off time.
- If you've a lot saved up, you'll still acquire a pay check for some, if not all, of your period in Rehab.
- Request for assistance from your family and close friends.
- You will be surprised by the number of people who are ok with making a contribution towards the cost of treatment and sustaining your family financially as you go through treatment.
- The company that handles your health insurance may pay part of the money if you contact them.
- To take care of the medical expenses occurred during recovery, the Affordable Care Act Medicaid / Medicare give some suggestions.
- You can also enquire your boss if they provide short-term disability and if so whether the program caters for substance and alcohol rehabilitation.
- These are different ways to help reduce the financial impact.
- You might be able to get more manageable payments if your facility offers special financing or payment plan options.
If your family can't keep up with bills while you're getting treatment, try to get extensions or ask your creditors to change dues dates. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Addiction Therapy Is The Best Solution For You And Your Family
You have every right to be worried about being absent from your family and going to treatment. Everybody that decides on getting treatment deals with similar emotions. But it's important to get the help you need and not to let these concerns dissuade you. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Do not let another moment of your life get wasted on addiction.