Drug Abuse In College Students
Students in higher institutions take part in drug abuse and excessive use of alcohol.
A national report shows that a huge number of abusers are college students.
The probability of drug dependency is very high in teenage years.
It is common for many students to come across problems of natural social anxiety when they begin life in college. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Reasons Why College Pupils Revert To Drugs
There are many reasons why so many college students become addicted to drugs and alcohol
- There are many activities in colleges such as internships, exams and social life that can exert some pressure to students causing them to resort to using drugs.
- Course Work
- Adderall is one of many stimulants that pupils take in order to stay awake and turn in their homework on time.
- Most of these substances tend to be found with no proper prescription.
- Being Interested In Something New
- The lack of experience and an adventurous nature of being a youth can sometimes lead students to desire to use drugs for the first time.
- Trying drugs is part of these new phases.
- Peer Pressure
- Sometimes a student may start indulging in alcoholism just because some of their friends are doing so.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Prevalence Of Diet Pills And Eating Disorders In Campus
There is usually problems with dieting among many college students.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. To make the matters worse, the incidence rate of eating disorder among students is increasing, as shown by a study which concluded that in the last twenty years, the number of cases of a specific eating disorder has increased, both in men and women. This disorder is causing many students to turn to diet pill abuse in order to help them lose weight. Some of these drugs have severe effects such as death. There is information about the effects that come with the use of these drugs.
College Drug Choices
Many new drugs are being introduced in the campuses every.
There are some common drugs that can be found in nearly all the colleges. The examples are
- In most of the colleges, liquor is the most abused substance.
- It is hard to classify heavy drinking as an abuse because alcohol is socially accepted.
- On the other hand, Adderall also popularly known as the study drug, it is the choice prescription drug for staying awake among students.
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- There are campuses in which the number one abused substance among students is Marijuana, not alcohol.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Party drugs are most popular with people who are in their late teens or 20s, and as most college students fall into this age-bracket, recreational drugs are popular among them.
- MDMA is widely abused at raves and gigs.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
The most hazardous drug found in college campuses is booze. Drinking alcohol is extremely common in campus, as it is a part of every house party, student parties, and celebrations.
Alcohol is so common in college and its use rarely, if ever, is frowned at, and that's why college students as a group drink more alcohol than those who are of the same age but do not attend college.
Survey reveals that a staggering 80% of college students drink alcohol.
Nearly 50% of all students who consume alcohol have reportedly resorted to binge drinking according to a document published by the National Institute On Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Excessive consumption of alcohol is not just a major health concern within the long-term, but it can also cause immediate tragedies such as assault, injury, arrest and even fatalities. Get more info about heavy drinking and the symptoms of booze on college campuses.
Substance Abuse In Fraternities And Sororities
Despite attempts by fraternities and sororities to create a family environment for college students in their perusal of academic and philanthropic endeavours consumption of alcohol and drug abuse within the Greek system are more common than students outside the system.
Adderall is one of the drugs that the students in these systems take more.
Seek Assistance For Your Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. We invite you to contact us on 0800 246 1509 so that we can help you get over your addiction and reclaim your life.